Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Chapter 3

Here is chapter 3 to Rael's Redemption!! :D I reposted chapters 1 and 2, due to a great critique I got from Braden (thank you!!!!), but I don't think I changed anything crucial to the plot, so you don't have to reread them. :) And thank you, Lizzie, for reading my chapter 2! ^_^ And Reagan, I know you read it too, even though you didn't comment, so thanks to you as well. :D

Let me know what you all think! :D

Chapter 3
I looked at him, stunned, then laughed in his face. “You think knowing Keeran is going to make me trust you? You obviously don’t know him that well.”

“Oh but I do, Lady. I’m his brother.”

I stopped laughing. “His brother?”

“Yes, Lady. My name is Aro. Keeran is my little brother.”

“But…” I looked at Rory, my mouth going open and closed with no sound coming out.

“Rae, perhaps he is right, and we should talk about this in private?”

“Yes,” my voice decided to work, “I think that’s a good idea.” I said. “Follow me.”

I turned, leading the way back to the guild hall. Outside, my composure was calm…inside however, I was shaking. I pushed my way through the crowded streets, lost in thought. What could Aro want? He must not be on good terms with Keeran to have sought me out thinking I would help him because of their relation.

My focus on my thoughts, I was surprised when I ran into something. Something that did not budge. I looked up to see a man staring down at me. “My pardon, Sir,” I muttered and stepped aside. He moved back in front of me.

“Something I can do for you?” I asked, gritting my teeth.

“Give me the amulet,” a dry, husky voice responded.

“’Fraid I can’t do that,” I said, keeping my voice steady.

“Pity.” He stepped back, drawing his sword.

I pushed Aro behind me, pulled out my dagger and short sword, and stood next to Rory, who had done the same.

“I believe you’re a bit outnumbered,” Rory said, her voice smug.

He laughed, but it was void of happiness. “Look again.” With these words, he was joined by two other men, dressed in black like their leader.

“I repeat. Give me the amulet.”

“Can’t do that,” I answered, though my confidence was shaken.

“Fine. I’ll kill you, and then take it,” he said, grinning.

“Go home to your mother, while you still have the chance,” I said, smirking. He was a handsome man, killing him would be a shame.

With that his grin faded, and his attack began. He made a thrust at my stomach, but I parried, and struck at his sword arm with my dagger. Rory was at my back, defending herself against one of the henchmen, while Aro faced another. I turned my concentration back to my target.

I was grinning. I couldn’t help myself. There’s nothing like a good fight. We danced the beautiful dance of thrusts and parries, neither of us gaining an edge. After a time, I felt his assurance of victory begin to falter, and I knew now was the time to act.

I swirled past his defense, ignoring the pain as his sword connected with my arm, and stuck my dagger into his side, making a slash across his chest with my other blade. He gasped, blood gurgling from his mouth, then fell to the ground. He didn’t move again. I clutched my arm, blood dripping between my fingers.

I looked around, pushing away the pain, to see Rory dispatching her man, and help Aro with his. I hadn’t counted on Aro being much of a help, but he’d held his own pretty well. Both he and Rory had only retained small cuts.

“Let’s get to the guild,” Rory said, breathing hard. “We won’t have to worry about more of these scum there.”

“Aye, let’s go,” I said, nodding. Rory motioned for Aro to follow.

At the guild’s gate, I nodded to the guards, signaling that I had everything under control. They looked shocked at our less than fresh appearance, and then worried as they saw the deep cut on my arm, but said nothing as Rory and I led Aro into the Hall.

I watched him, his face showing open wonder. I thought of the first time I’d seen the Hall. I had been 14 at the time, just a broken little girl. A little girl who had experienced more torture than I would wish on anyone…except those who’d done it.

I shuddered and pushed the memories from my mind, as I had done every day for the past 5 years. I forced my mind to the task at hand. Find out what Aro wants. Get what Aro wants. Never speak to him again.

Rory led the way through the Hall, then branched off to the left, leading away from the personal area of the guild, to the business branch. We passed several small, occupied rooms before finding one that was available.

I stood, leaning against the back wall, rather than sitting at the small table and chairs that were room’s sole residents. Rory joined me, and motioned for Aro to take a chair.

I found my voice at last. “What business would you have me do?”

Aro looked nervous. “It is not your usual line of work.”

I shrugged. “I’m open to anything and everything that will earn me my keep here.”

“Yes, well…I’ve heard that you might have…acquired…a rather odd piece of jewelry recently.”

I barely stopped my jaw from falling open. “How did you…?”

“I put it there. At great cost to myself, I might add. Certain circumstances prevent me from using it. Only those who are unaware of its powers at the moment of possession can use it to its full potential. And only those who have certain…gifts…can use it at all.”

I clutched at my dagger, uncertain of how to react. I had been used.

“Why me?” Was all I could get out.

“We could tell, and Keeran attested, that you have certain innate skills.”

I laughed, but it wasn’t a joyful laugh. It was one of pain and remembrance. “Aye, he would know that full well.”

“We need you to use the amulet, and for that you had to have no knowledge of its power.”

“Who is this ‘we,’ you keep speaking of?” Rory interjected.

“A group of us who feel the Emperor needs a little help retaining control of his empire. You’ve met two of us already. Your Lady, and the man who was your benefactor for this job.”

I heard Rory gasp, and I could barely keep myself from doing the same. The Lady? Mixed up in plots of the Emperor? Such a thing had never occurred within the guild; our allegiance was carefully given to no one. Not even the Emperor.

“Why send the benefactor to see me?” I asked.

“We had to make sure you had the amulet. We knew you’d made it out of the house, as our magician felt you touch his cords of magic, but we didn’t know if you’d taken the stone.”

I nodded, understanding that part, but then the strangeness of the whole situation came over me again. “This is all very well,” I said, “but you have given me no reason as to why I should help you on this venture of protection.”

“Before, we would have given you a choice. Now you have none.”

I stiffened at this declaration, and pulled my dagger halfway from its sheath before Rory put a hand on my arm, stopping me.

“Why have the plans changed, Sir?” Her voice was calm. Deadly calm. Threatening.

“A man sharing Rael’s…ability…to use the amulet has come seeking it. It has been rumored he has a plan to steal it from us, now that we’ve put it in plain sight. This is why you have no choice. The stone must be kept, and used by you to keep the empire safe.”

“I refuse,” I said evenly.

“You what?” He answered, shocked.

“I refuse. I will not be mixed up in your schemes. Find someone else to use.” I tried to push the magical artifact into his hands. His face turned ashen as the amulet touched his skin.

“Please…please don’t make me take it,” he said, almost begging. “I told you…people who are aware of the amulet’s power cannot take the stone. To do so would mean eventual death.”

I stopped. I might not like the situation, but I would not hurt him like this.

“I will keep the stone till you find someone more fitting for its owner. Do not make me wait long.” After a long pause I added, “You are dismissed.”

It was unnerving to have this strong man cowering before me, face still white with pain. Pain that I had caused.

He hurried across the room, stopping only to make a small bow to us at the doorway.

“One more thing.” My voice stopped him as he entered the hallway. “Who is the man? The one who wants the amulet?”

“Sarmad. The Emperor’s head magician.”

I froze. “I will do what you ask, I will help you, and in return you will protect me from this man?”

“With our very lives.”

“We have a deal. You may go.” I whispered.

As soon as he was gone, I took a shaky breath and slid down the wall to the floor. My past had come back to haunt me. I couldn’t stop the shaking that began to take over my body. I felt, rather than saw Rory crouch down next to me. She put a calming hand on my arm, then when she felt the tremors racking my body, sat on the floor beside me and pulled me close.

“It’s all coming back…isn’t it?” She asked, her voice quiet.

I could barely manage a nod. All the memories I’d pushed away came flooding to my mind.

“Come with me, Rae. I’ve found a man who will give us food!”

Keeran’s voice filled my head and I struggled to shove it out.

“Here, Sir. I brought her as you requested.”

“Ah, what a good lad you are. What a clever boy. If what you’ve told me is correct, she will be perfect for my…experiments.”

Keeran’s face shines with happiness. Happiness in the midst of betrayal.

“You will never see her again.”

“Yes, Sir. I remember.” Keeran shuffles out. Panic surges through my body as I look up at the hard face of the man who is now my master.

“Rael Avongara, I am Sarmad. Welcome to your new life.”

Beatings. Blood. Torture. Knives. Rape. More beatings. More blood.

“WHY?!” I scream over and over again, pain tearing my small body apart. Something like lightning flashes through me, all the bodies around me fall to the floor. The beating stops. They are dead.

Running. Must run. Can’t stop. RUN! I flee through the manor, bare feet slapping against the cool, tile floor. Don’t look back.

I burst through the door and into the street, hiding myself in the crowd. I cringe with every arm, leg, satchel, that brushes against my bruised and tattered skin.

A familiar face. Keeran. I charge forward, intent on his death coming at my hands. He catches me. He is so much bigger than me. He takes me back. He leaves.

“Little Rael has been a bad, bad girl,” Sarmad’s snake-like voice fills my mind with terror. And then all goes black.

~ Calleigh

1 comment:

  1. Wow Calleigh. Talk about suspense :) good job, can't wait
    to read chapter 4.

    ReplyDelete