Wednesday, January 12, 2011

OYAN Novel Scene

AH!! I really need to think of different titles, because it totally ruins what I'm going to say here! *glares at title*  Anyway, as the annoying thing above says, this is a scene I'm hoping to be able to use in my OYAN novel! :D  If you haven't read my synopsis, this is from the view of my protagonist Rael.  Hope you enjoy! And if you have any tips or correctings, comment, email, or PM me :P

I looked around. All was dark, all was quiet; everything was going just how I wanted it to. Skulking towards the bed, I pulled my favorite knife from its sheath. As I approached, I had a strange feeling all was not as it should be. Upon closer observance, the body in the bed was oddly proportioned, with arms and legs sticking out at odd angles.

I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply. I had been set up. There was no one in the bed, I was getting no money for this job, and I might not escape it with my life. Forcing myself to be calm, I quickly ran through a mental list of escape possibilities. Deciding the window would be the best way out, I started towards it only to turn and look back at the bed. I had to be sure. No money meant I wouldn’t be eating for the rest of the week and I couldn’t take that chance. Of course I could just steal something, but being paid to steal something for someone else is different than stealing for myself.

When I was about four feet away, knife raised, I felt a tingling across my legs. “Blast!” I really hate magic.

I held still, hoping I hadn’t triggered, only brushed the magic line. That I wasn’t dead was a good clue, but you could never be sure. I stepped back slowly, then sprinted for the window which was looking better by the second. I threw myself at it, hoping I would survive the fall. But I didn’t go through.

My head hit a magical barrier that set my short hair on end and sent tingles up and down my body. I take back what I said about hating magic. I loathe it. Magic is what people pay too much for that gets folks in trouble and ruins people’s honest lives! Well in my case, maybe not so honest, but still…you see my point.

I swirled around looking for another escape route. Nothing. I would have to go back through the house. Catapulting myself down the stairs, relieved to have left the room, I was rather careless. What I mean is I didn’t notice that I’d walked through a cord of magic till I felt the spark of it on my skin. Double blast.

I might as well go on now. With no regard to my surroundings, I dashed through the house. Reaching the door, I hurled it open and threw myself outside. Right at the feet of the provost guard.

~ Lei

7 comments:

  1. What happens next! Wow, very good Lei!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds cool! I'll be excited to read it!!!

    It's interesting that you are using first person; I hadn't expected you too. I like it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!
    Yeah...I have to write it in first person :( It's a rule.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must know more!!!! :)

    I like how you kept the action up. Kept me reading. :) Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *hugs* Thanks, Sis!! I might post more soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds amazing!! I can't wait to read the next section!! *nodnod*

    ReplyDelete
  7. *laughing* Thanks for the enthusiasm, Lizzie! :) I'm working on putting together another scene right now ^_^

    ReplyDelete